Saturday, August 11, 2007

Week 8 Thing 18 - Zoho - online word processing

I was excited to learn about Zoho and I thought it would be a great tool. What a great idea, create word documents without having to pay for software. and share the documents online. Then I tried to use Zoho and ran into problems. I tried to create a document on Zoho and below is what I typed:

Zoho Writer is an online word processing tool.
It's not letting me change the font of the text like I can in Word.
I can't change font from Verdana
I was able to drag an emoticon into the page, but I can't get it to go where I want it.
Maybe this only works on PCs. I don't understand why it's not working.
I was able to underline, bold, italics
I can't get the special characters to go into the page either.

I was puzzled. Why couldn't I use any of the formatting tools? Thank goodness for the FAQ area of the site where I found the following:

What browsers does Zoho Writer support?

Zoho Writer supports the following browsers:
Internet Explorer 5.5+
Firefox 1.5+
Mozilla 1.4+
Netscape 7.0+
Regardless of the browser type, you must enable JavaScript for Zoho Writer to function properly.
Note: Zoho Writer works best in Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 1.5+.

Eureka! I was trying to create the document using Safari. No wonder it didn't work! Zoho would not be a useful tool for me. At least I can use Microsoft Word and move from Mac to PC without a problem.

No comments: